Sunday, November 4, 2012

Easy Southern Fried Chicken

My Mama’s easy Fried Chicken Recipe

Here is a simple fried chicken recipe that I grew up on

Ingredients

1 whole chicken (fryer).  My mother preferred small fryers.  Also, you can have the market butcher cut up the pieces or buy it already cut up.  I just prefer to do it myself.      

Crisco Shortening or Lard

Salt and Pepper to season

Plain all-purpose flour

Directions

Wash and cut up chicken.  A whole chicken should come to nine individual pieces

Salt and pepper all the pieces.  Refrigerate for 1 hour.  You can do longer if you like.

I like to make an herb mixture of flour, basil, oregano, paprika, garlic salt, and season-all or season-salt.

Get a brown paper bag and pour mixture in.

Start placing pieces in the bag and  shake the bag lightly so the mixture coats each piece.

Heat shortening in a cast iron skillet.

However when you hear the oil sizzling, then it is ready.

Fry chicken for 10 to 12 minutes on each side making sure it’s golden brown. Darker pieces need to cook longer than white pieces.

Drain chicken on paper towel on a flat metal pan.

Allow chicken to cool for several minutes before eating



2 comments:

  1. I love fried chicken! I'm going to have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why I always have had a problem frying any kind of chicken that weren't wings. Its never cooked all the way on the inside but your instructions help a little. I love recipe blogs btw! :)

    ReplyDelete